- Why do we try to preserve endangered languages in the first place?
- Do languages represent a culture? If so, does an old culture “die” when its language evolves into something completely different?
- Is it natural for endangered languages to die over time?
- Is it impossible to “translate” certain ideas? Can a language “make up” a new word for an idea represented in another language which is untranslatable?
- How much effort should be made to “preserve” a language which is dying?
- Will the world be a better place when there are only a few languages left?
- Is it a waste of time to study a minority language?
- Should minority languages be taught in school? Would it be more beneficial if students around the world were simply taught in one language (English)?
- What about artificial languages such as Esperanto? Could they be taught as a “neutral” universal language?
- What languages do you think we will be speaking around the world in 50, 100, or 200 years? If our languages survive that long, will they be mutually understandable, or will they have changed over time?