- How many of you are draft dodgers? Why?
- “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” Do you believe that there is such a thing as civic duty?
- “I think if a nation goes to war, every town, every city needs to be at risk. You make that decision and everybody has skin in the game.” Do you agree? Do you think that countries with a professional military are more likely to go to war?
- What do you think about mandatory conscription for all 18-year-olds?
- If conscription policies in Ukraine were expanded to include both genders, and a civil service (not just military service), would you be more inclined to serve? Would this sort of program be good for Ukraine?
- Germany just recently ended its conscription program (which was male only). Do you think this was wise?
- What kind of penalties are there if you do not serve in Ukraine? Do you think the kind of penalties outlined here might be better? Conversely, what would be good ways to incentivize people to serve?
- What is a decent duration of service? Should that duration depend on what kind of service you’re doing? In Israel, men are conscripted for 2 yrs and 8 mo and women for 2 years. Is that fair?
- Would expanding the draft in Ukraine open the door for more corruption?
- What kinds of jobs could be done by the civil service in Ukraine?